Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Best of the Decade


#4

Sentimentality is allowed when choosing my own personal top of the decade. I am not saying High Fidelity (2000) is not a great movie, because it is, but it is also a deeply personal choice. Yes I have heard that this is a romantic comedy made for guys, but I think it goes deeper than that. It is the most realistic (to the point where it can be painful to watch) portrayal of the male mind in relationships when it comes to dating and love. High Fidelity is the reason I can forgive John Cusack for any bad movie he has ever made or will ever make. Cusack is an every man and he is able to play a jerk without losing his charm and like ability. I have not seen High Fidelity on any other best of the decade lists but it sits proudly as my number 4.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more... I think any guy who's been in a relationship with any turmoil has said, done, or felt, any of the things that Cusack does in this movie. The worst part about romantic comedies is the unrealistic display of emotion between the men and women and this movie is unique in its ability to give you a real look at this guy's pain. And "you know, it sounds boring, but it wasn't. It wasn't spectacular either. It was just good. But really good." It's a good man that drops this flick at number four.

    By the way... you were brilliant in Last September.

    ReplyDelete