Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Best of the Decade


#3

There was one point where Cameron Crowe's Almost Famous (2000) was my favorite film. I have always said that the most difficult thing to do in film is to make a great life affirming film without it being cliched. Crowe accomplishes just that in this film about an aspiring rocker writer and the band he follows. For Crowe this was a love story to rock and roll, for me this was about William Miller and experiencing what life has to off at the most important point of his life. The combination of music and images are what makes great cinema and with Almost Famous you can play it from any point in the movie and see that on display perfectly. I never lived in the 70's but every time I watch this film its like hanging out with old friends. And it must be said that Kate Hudson is perfect as Penny Lane, one of the few cinematic women I fell in love with.

1 comment:

  1. I concur my friend. Penny Lane... incredible. And I think that this is a pretty decent turn from Billy Crudup, who might be the Greg Oden of acting, plenty of potential, shitty track record.

    ReplyDelete