Sunday, August 30, 2009

Pam Grier is Foxy Brown


As a mid 20's white male living in 2009 I can't claim to be any type of expert or enthusiast on 1970's blaxplotation movies, but being a movie lover I decided to check out the highly regarded benchmark of the genre Foxy Brown. The idea behind all exploitation movies is they are suppose to do just that, exploit; exploit sex, violence and drug use, and on that level Foxy Brown absolutely succeeds. There are brutal scenes of rape, violence and drug use. Certainly the film never gets boring. 

Where I think the film stands a cut above its peers is in Pam Grier's revenge filled performance as Foxy Brown. She is not only beautiful, but tough.  She certainly takes her beatings but is able to bounce back and of course in the end get her revenge. 

There is nothing about the plot, characters or dialogue that will wow you, but I understand the movies significance and the film will entertain. If I wanted to, I could break down the broad strokes of the film, but any one that is coming to see this movie is not and should not have great artistic expectations. Yes, its fun to see the set dressing, wardrobes, and nuances that make it a unmistakable 70's film. Its shock value and political incorrectness are also worth keeping an eye on.

I wish I had the knowledge to compare and contrast it to other blaxplotation movies, but I haven't seen any others. Maybe it is time for me to have a movie marathon and put some more titles on the top of my Netflix que. 

Overall  Foxy Brown delivers exactly what is asked of it.

**1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment